POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Brushed Metal Table again - brushed-metal-blur-2.png (1/1) : Brushed Metal Table again - brushed-metal-blur-2.png (1/1) Server Time
1 Aug 2024 20:07:23 EDT (-0400)
  Brushed Metal Table again - brushed-metal-blur-2.png (1/1)
From: Edouard Poor
Date: 22 Mar 2008 15:30:51
Message: <news.povray.org-AB5CC1.09303823032008@news.povray.org>
Another crack at the brushed metal table look.

Changes this time:

I've made the table colour darker, and very slightly blue-tinged. Looks
more "metal" to me now.

I've layered a wrinkles pattern on top of everything to give the table a
less purely flat appearance. Looking at it here it almost looks like
I've put too much in, but real surfaces tend to have a fair amount of
flex in them, so maybe it's OK.

A bit I was pretty happy with: I've layered two patterns on top of each
other, and made the scratch highlights in the second one reflect more
light in order to make the scratches show up more. But this only happens
if there is a bright reflection falling on them - otherwise they fade
back into the normal surface. It feels more like how scratches catch the
light in reality to me.

This one is rendered with radiosity.

Technique:

The blur is a simple average of 20 textures with a gradient z pattern
(with a 1% random variation).

The scratch pattern is simply crackles stretched about 60 times in the x
axis.

Two scratch patterns are layered on top of each other in a texture map,
with the one with the highlights only showing through in the top 7% of
the map. It is identical to the other pattern, but has a higher
reflectivity.

As I said above, wrinkles is used in a normal_map in each blurred
pattern to give the surface some large-scale flex.

And that's about it.

Any improvements you think can be made?

Cheers,
Edouard.

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'brushed-metal-blur-2.png.jpg' (134 KB)

Preview of image 'brushed-metal-blur-2.png.jpg'
brushed-metal-blur-2.png.jpg